That’s me and my best friend, three years after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. We were holding a fundraiser in 2008 for breast cancer research/awareness and celebrating another year of being cancer free.
I am 27 years old and have been a breast cancer survivor for 7 years now. When I was originally diagnosed and treated, I was lucky to still be covered by my mother’s insurance plan. The related medical costs were easier for us to handle. Once I graduated college, I was no longer eligible for coverage under my mother’s insurance. So when I took my first job, I readily opted into my employer’s insurance plan. After submitting my application, I was told that the insurance company would not cover any tests/procedures/expenses related to my pre-existing condition…breast cancer. Not only did I require biannual mammograms, I frequently required breast ultrasounds whenever something seemed out of the ordinary with my breast exams. These procedures are extremely expensive out-of-pocket. Additionally, I am limited as to what hormonal birth control I can take as a result of the cancer. I am limited to two types…and they are expensive. And naturally, my insurance company would not cover either of the two options that I am allowed to take. I’ve been in a relationship with my significant other for about six years. While we have regularly discussed the possibility of children, we are simply not ready. Birth control is essential for our life plan.
Luckily, not only was I able to turn to Planned Parenthood for my mammogram needs, they became my ONLY source for affordable birth control. Early detection is the key against any type of cancer. The resources provided by Planned Parenthood have been invaluable to me personally. It has given me peace of mind to know with 100% certainty that I have remained cancer free. You cannot put a price on peace of mind. Thank you Planned Parenthood.
- sweetbutterbliss reblogged this from zhounder
- sweetbutterbliss likes this
- zhounder reblogged this from cactustreemotel
- cellardoorart likes this
- ravenandmonkey likes this
- lettucehead likes this
- adeclarationofconflictedfeelings reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- honeytones reblogged this from fungisbrain and added:
- honeytones likes this
- fungisbrain reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- heavenearthandhoratio reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- cactustreemotel reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme and added:
- badinfluencespeaks likes this
- sarahspy likes this
- ipauk likes this
- loverlyqueerbunny reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- clarityandchaos likes this
- adeclarationofconflictedfeelings submitted this to plannedparenthoodsavedme