A high-ranking official resigned Tuesday from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer charity after a dispute over whether the group should give funding to Planned Parenthood, according to a letter obtained by The Associated Press.
Karen Handel, the charity’s vice president for public policy, told Komen officials that she supported the move to cut off funding for Planned Parenthood. She said the discussion started before she arrived at the organization and was approved at the highest levels of the charity.
“I am deeply disappointed by the gross mischaracterizations of the strategy, its rationale, and my involvement in it,” Handel said in her letter. “I openly acknowledge my role in the matter and continue to believe our decision was the best one for Komen’s future and the women we serve.”
I still find Komen’s apology statement from last week dubious — it doesn’t say it will continue funding PP, but that it will honor existing commitments.
- teamanthro likes this
- dirtymouf reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- sarahspy likes this
- herblondness likes this
- adeclarationofconflictedfeelings reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- neverwithoutit reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- themoosejthm reblogged this from plannedparenthoodsavedme
- ereyes312 likes this
- plannedparenthoodsavedme posted this